Big Time Thursday: The ACUC in Texas! (Contest)
What do you get when you hold an America’s Credit Union Conference & Expo (ACUC) planning session after watching Improv Everywhere’s I Love Lunch! The Musical? If you’re me, you get this crazy idea to hold a random musical at the Governmental Affairs Conference (GAC). That’s right, we’re so excited about ACUC we decided to sing about it at this year’s GAC. OK, full disclosure, we actually were so excited we hired actors to sing about it (nobody wants to hear me sing), and enlisted some friends from the CUNA Councils to help as well. That’s right, exhibit hall attendees were surprised by this CUNA ACUC 2011 Random Musical. (Warning: Once you watch this you’ll likely be humming the tune all afternoon!)
Are there ways credit unions can use things like random musicals and flash mobs to stand out in a crowded market? With the right plan up front and strategy to help it go viral, there are certainly ways these can compliment your traditional promotions. Join us at ACUC to hear Improv Everywhere (the group behind the I Love Lunch! Musical) founder Charlie Todd present a thought leader session sharing details behind some of his group’s biggest pranks and what credit unions can learn from using those kinds of tactics.
Already have a video you’re trying to spread the word on? I recently spoke with Michael Taylor of PLAY Creative, the marketing agency who worked with the Nebraska Credit Union League on their recent CU Awareness Campaign. Here are some simple ways Taylor suggests to help spread the word about your video:
- Post the video link on Facebook fan pages of other groups your audience would likely be interested in
- Share the link on Twitter and ASK people to share with their friends and comment on the site where you’re hosting the video. Asking people on Twitter versus just sharing a link can help you get more people to actually pass the link on.
- Reach out to like-minded blogs and ask them to post a story about your viral project. Make sure to include an answer to the question “What’s in it for their readers?”
- Tag the video correctly on YouTube. This is key for people searching on YouTube. Having good tags also helps bring the video up in Google searches.
- Send a plain old e-mail to friends and family. This can help spread the word in the early going. In turn, they will also likely share with their friends and family.
BIG TIME Thursday CONTEST: We want to know, what are some of the BIG TIME things your credit union is doing or planning to do to stand out from the competition? Answer that question in a comment below and we’ll do a random drawing on March 31st (just in time to kick off our next Big Time Thursday contest) of all commenters to give away an Apple iPod® nano 8 GB (6th Generation) and a copy of Charlie Todd’s book Causing a Scene: Extraordinary Pranks in Ordinary Places with Improv Everywhere.
Read more about BIG TIME Thursday Contests (there will be lots of great prizes through May 2011).
UPDATE (3/31): This contest has ended – congratulations to our winner, Cheryl Hart, who won an Apple iPod® nano 8 GB (6th Generation) and a copy of Charlie Todd’s book Causing a Scene: Extraordinary Pranks in Ordinary Places with Improv Everywhere. THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!